Southwind Park Project
In 1901 a local pioneer, Edwin Watts purchased an 80 acre farm just south of the Springfield city limits. Edwin was successful in farming and cattle trading and his farm remained in his family for four generations. As the City of Springfield's planned growth expands to the southern area of town, the Watts family descendants recognized the need for a park to promote and insure green space and recreation programs to benefit our community residents. As a result of their keen insight and harmony with the pioneer spirit of their Great Grandfather, the family donated the land for the Springfield Park District to develop a new park, Southwind Park.